Veterans Benefits

Military Support

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) Active Duty Educational Assistance Program
  • Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606) Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
  • Disabled Veterans Assistance (Chapter 31)
  • Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP Chapter 32)
  • Vietnam Era GI Bill (Chapter 34)

View a comparison of these benefits.

Applying for Veterans Benefits

To receive VA benefits, a student must be formally admitted as a degree-seeking graduate student to MPA@UNC and adhere to its policies and academic eligibility standards.

Students must apply for benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs. Instructions and application forms can be found on the VA website, or they can be requested by phone at 1-888-GIBILL1. MPA@UNC strongly recommends students apply online through the Education Benefits Application Process page on the site.

The VA will process the application and send a letter with their decision. Please be aware that it may take the VA several weeks to process a claim. If a student is approved to receive benefits, they will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA.

Once a student has received their certificate of eligibility, they should submit a copy to the UNC Veterans Services Office along with copies of any high school and previous college transcripts and the UNC Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form.

Documents may be faxed to 919-962-3349 or sent to the following address:

Office of the University Registrar
Attn: Veteran Services
SASB North, Suite 3100
Campus Box 2100
Chapel Hill, NC 27599

After all required documents are received, the VA Certifying Official will submit a 22-1999 enrollment certification to the VA to initiate payments. This is submitted electronically, and the student will receive an e-mail confirmation.

Maintaining Your Eligibility

Students must submit the UNC Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form as soon as they register for the following term to re-activate the benefits and prevent a lapse in payment.

Students must complete this form each and every term they are enrolled in classes at UNC. Without a new enrollment form, the payments will stop.

Students must notify the VA Certifying Official if they withdraw from, add, or drop classes.
The VA will be notified of failure to maintain standards of attendance, progress, or conduct. When a student has failed to maintain the prescribed standard of attendance, progress, or conduct, the school must promptly notify the VA so that the VA can discontinue benefit payments in accordance with the law. If a student's progress or conduct becomes unsatisfactory, the termination date assigned by the school will be the last day of the term or other evaluation period in which the student's progress or conduct became unsatisfactory. In situations involving unsatisfactory attendance, benefits will be discontinued based on the student's last date of attendance as reported by the school.

Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607 veterans will not receive payment until they have also verified their monthly attendance directly with the VA. Enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month by using the Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

Leave of Absence

Interruption of Study

If graduate study is interrupted by active military service, or service in the Peace Corps, VISTA, or the equivalent, as much as two years of that time will not count toward the time limit for the degree. In such an event, an official letter from the appropriate agency should be sent to The Graduate School to document the interruption.

Leave of Absence

Within the five-year limit, a student in good academic standing may request one leave of absence from graduate study for a definite, stated period of time (up to one year) during which the student does not plan to make academic progress. To be eligible for a leave of absence, a student should not have received an extension of the degree time limit and not have temporary grades of IN or AB on courses taken. A leave of absence between degrees is not allowed. In advance of the leave period, the student must complete and submit a Request for Leave of Absence Form to The Graduate School. This form requires approval by the academic program. If The Graduate School approves the leave of absence, the time of that leave will not count against the total time allowed for the degree. Readmission to MPA@UNC after an approved leave of absence is generally a formality. Ordinarily, a leave of absence may not be renewed.

Students should be aware that while on leave, they cannot be considered enrolled students and therefore will not have access to campus services and benefits afforded to enrolled students, including eligibility for holding student employment positions (e.g., TA or RA) or student health insurance, among other services.

More information about the leave of absence policy can be found in the UNC-Chapel Hill handbook..

Apply Now