Announcing the #HowIServe Campaign: January 20-31 [Call For Submissions]
While January is a great time to set personal goals for what you want to accomplish throughout the year, it’s also a great time to reflect on how you hope to make an impact on your community.
On January 20, 2014, Americans nationwide will come together to commemorate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday and serve their communities for the MLK National Day of Service. Since 1994, the MLK Day of Service has been uniquely dubbed as “a day on, not a day off” and encourages individuals from all walks of life to work together in solving some of the nation’s most pressing issues. The MLK Day of Service is also part of United We Serve, President Barack Obama’s national call to service initiative.
To celebrate, we are asking you to submit your stories on the ways you give back to your community. Whether it is volunteering once a week at a local food bank, mentoring middle school students in an after-school program, or even serving as a member of our Armed Forces, we want to know: How do you serve?
Here are five easy steps for participating in the #HowIServe Campaign:
- Step 1: How do you choose to give back to your community? We encourage all participants to share what inspires them to volunteer and what organization(s) they work with regularly.
- Step 2: Be sure to include a photograph of your service in action along with your story.
- Step 3: Post your story on your blog starting today, January 20 until January 31. If you don’t have your own blog, you can still participate! Borrow a friend’s blog for the day, or easily create a Tumblr, or WordPress account.
- Step 4: Share how you serve your community with us and with your community. Use hashtag #HowIServe on Twitter, Facebook, or Google+.
- Step 5: Comment below with a link to your blog post to have your post added to our #HowIServe roundup on February 3rd. Your acts of service could be featured!
Remember to grab a #HowIServe Campaign Badge:
Embed Our Graphic On Your Website: