Core Public Leadership Competencies
Whether graduates of MPA@UNC choose a career in local, state, or federal service; a nonprofit organization; or private industry; there are key competencies taught in the program that form the foundation for effectiveness in public service.
Public Service Values
- Accountability and Transparency
- Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Respect and Equality
- Professionalism and Ethical Behavior
MPA Competency List
To lead, manage, and engage others in public service.
- Analyze organizations and their environments from multiple perspectives and apply that analysis in assessing alternative courses of action
- Evaluate appropriate processes and structures to achieve organizational goals
- Diagnose group dynamics and apply insights in building team effectiveness
- Understand how to collaborate across boundaries to build strategic relationships to achieve goals
- Apply and evaluate project management in practice
- Create and critique own personal model of leadership
To apply public service values and ethics.
- Identify the legal and ethical implications of social equity and diversity in public service
- Analyze public service actions and options in the context of competing public service values
To understand social, economic, and political contexts.
- Evaluate the impact of intergovernmental and intersectoral relations
- Analyze current situations in light of public administration history and enduring debates
To effectively communicate.
- Write clearly, concisely, and unambiguously
- Give organized and convincing oral presentations
- Listen and think critically
To analyze information for decision making.
- Identify, analyze, and evaluate public problems, issues, and choices
- Understand basic performance management
- Select, apply, critique, and interpret analysis for informing decisions
- Identify, collect, manage, and interpret relevant qualitative and quantitative data
- Design and conduct appropriate research to evaluate public problems
To understand law and legal process.
- Understand constitutional law and other fundamental laws governing public administration and policy
- Identify salient legal issues in public decision making and find basic governing law
To manage financial resources.
- Apply values and processes for the allocation of resources
- Apply values and processes for managing financial liabilities
To manage human capital.
- Apply core human resource management functions
- Apply theory and research to contemporary human resource management challenges and liabilities