MPA@UNC: Questions About Admissions
- What are the requirements for admission to MPA@UNC?
- Is work experience required?
- Is an undergraduate degree required?
- Which tests do I need to take?
- Are there any prerequisite courses?
- What is required in the application?
- Are transfer credits accepted?
- Do I apply for admissions and financial aid at the same time?
What are the requirements for admission to MPA@UNC?
All MPA@UNC students must meet the same rigorous admissions standards as students in the UNC School of Government's on-campus MPA program. The UNC School of Government strives to attract a strong and diverse group of students for each year's entering class. Successful applicants must demonstrate a strong academic background and a sincere commitment to advancing the public good through public service leadership. Please see the admissions section for a full description of all requirements.
Is work experience required?
Although professional experience in a public administration capacity is certainly advantageous, MPA@UNC applicants are not required to have any work experience for admission.
Is an undergraduate degree required?
Yes, MPA@UNC applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution. International applicants must have a college-level education equivalent to a U.S. undergraduate or baccalaureate degree.
Additionally, TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores are also required from applicants whose native language is not English, with few exceptions.
Are there any prerequisite courses?
Yes, a three-credit course in American Government and Policy is required. While you may be granted conditional admission without the course, you must complete it prior to the registration date of your second term of classes. Otherwise, a hold will be placed on your registration status. . If you have not taken this course at any point in your academic history, please review these options for information on institutions where you can complete a valid course, including a self-paced online version.
- Online application, including a statement of purpose and resume or CV
- Application fee payment or waiver
- Official GMAT, LSAT, or GRE scores
- If applicable, TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academics scores
- Contact information for three references
- Official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions
For helpful tips on assembling your application materials, please visit the Admissions webpage.
Do I apply for admissions and financial aid at the same time?
We encourage you to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at the same time you apply for admission so you can be informed about your aid eligibility as soon as you receive an offer of admission. The UNC School of Government has a student loan officer to provide dedicated assistance during the application process. For more information on your financial aid options, please visit our Tuition and Financial Aid webpage.